On this page
- Text (4)
Note: This text has been automatically extracted via Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software. The text has not been manually corrected and should not be relied on to be an accurate representation of the item.
Additionally, when viewing full transcripts, extracted text may not be in the same order as the original document.
iBfcome ox the College , the amoutit of which should not be less than the amount of the annual allowance made for depreciation on buildings , viz . 2 § per cent , on the current estimated value of the Manchester buildings , and 7 % per cent , on the current estimated value of the York buildings .
That the said addition to the permanent fund should be over and above the addition now annually made thereto of the surplus income of the long annuities . In ptirsuaode of the above resolutions , the stim of 3261 . was voted to the permanent fund , being the amount of the depreciation on the estimated value of the Manchester and York buildings since the last annual meeting .
The chair was then taken by T . B . W . Sairderson ^ , Esq » , and the thanks of the meeting were unanimously voted to John Touchet , Esq . f 6 r his services as President . S . D . DARBISHfRE , ? Seci . etari _ J . J . TAYL . ER , § beci etan-s-Manchester , August 1822 .
TJnitarian Congregation , Portsmouth Thb state of the Unitarian Congregation in this town affords the most encouraging proof , that the views of Christian truth entertained by them are well adapted to the spiritual wants of mankind generally . By adopting every allowable
means of exciting public attention , then laying open the pure and simple doctrines of the Gospel in a plain , earnest , and familiar manner , contrasting them with prevailing errors , avoiding ^ abstruse discussions , and constantly appealing to the Scriptures , the , place of worship which was for many years considered the gate of
perdition , and frequented chiefly by a few families of the educated classes , is become the regular resort of nearly a thousand persons of all ranks aud conditions , who gladly avail themselves of the instructive ministry of the venerable minister , ( the Rev . Russell Scott , ) and delight to bring up their families and their friends to the worship of the one living and true God .
Under these circumstances , some anxiety was felt in the beginning of the present year , at finding the ancient chapel so much in need of repairs , that it could no longer be used in safety : Aided by the very munificent donations of individuals and families connected with the
society , although several of them non-residents , the congregation has been ena * bled to put a new roof on the building , and otherwise repair and improve it , in a manner promising safety and comfort for a crotury to come . They have added a
spacious vestry to contain the Subscription Library , amounting to about 400 volumes , and a room over for the Sunday Schools . Upwards of £ 1100 have been expended on these objects , anc } . tHey hope
to defray the whole expense without appealing to other congregati 6 ns for assistance ; but to accomplish this , their aid must necessarily be withjiolden for the present from objects which have strong claims on Christian benevolence .
The proprietor of the Crown Assembly Rooms in the most liberal manner allowed them to be used by the congregation gratuitously for several months , till the chapel was re-opened ob the 27 th of October . On that occasion the Rev . W . Hughes , of the Isle of Wight , and the Rev . J . Fullagar , of Chichester , ( whose
labours , in connexion with other ministers , at the Fortnightly Lectures established in Portsea and the suburbs , have effectually promoted the spread of Unitarianism , ) preached in the moruipg and evening to crowded assemblies . Mr . Fullagar shewed wherein the trtje glory of a Christian church should consist . Mr .
Hughes pointed out the advantages arising from just views of the Divine character . The gratitude due to those who erected the chapel in 1717 , was well enforced ; and a hope expressed that the " glory of the second house" would be greater than that . of " the first . " The society were congratulated on their
distinguishing name being now inscribed on the front , of the building ; and the Divine blessing implored that it might be as a house of refuge for the disconsolate and those who are wearied witji the weight of superstition ; un asylum for the persecuted , and a standard for , in-gathering the house of Israel . D . B , P . —^—
We noticed in our last the intended resignation of the Rev . Pjbndli ^ bury Houghton in the ensuing month' of March , as one of the ministers of the
congregation meeting in Paradise Street Chapel , in Liverpool . We are informed that the Rev . John Yates has also signified his desire to retire at the same time . And we farther learn , that it Is the intention of the congregation to have only one minister in future .
By the death of Mr . Smytjh , \ ( oon-inlaw of the late Duke of Gr ^ ft ou , ) a vacancy was creafced in the . represent action of the University of Cambridge . ut ft » rJH&r ment . A new elejctiofijtooh p& $ e w tfoe * 26 th and 27 th of : Noyemhe * ' . 'i&HB CH * w
77 % Intelligence . P ~ -Unitarian 43 ongregutir > n y ^ rtmhouth .
Monthly Repository (1806-1838) and Unitarian Chronicle (1832-1833), Dec. 2, 1822, page 774, in the Nineteenth-Century Serials Edition (2008; 2018) ncse.ac.uk/periodicals/mruc/issues/vm2-ncseproduct2519/page/54/