On this page
the purpose of appropriating ^ the ch&pel to the worsMp ; of God , uifcshackled by creeds aM untrammeled by any vague dogma whatever . ^ There is an endowment belonging to the chapel , consisting of a freehold
estate of about thirty-three statute acres , left thereto by Mr . James Heywood . He had acquired a competency in the village as a woollen-draper , and was one of the most ardent promoters of the undertaking . His name and that
of his wife are yet remaining over the north and south doors of the chapel . They ha 4 an only son and heir , who , dying seven years after the chapel was completed , this estate was by
them vested in feoffees , and the issues and profits gf it appropriated to the augmentation of the minister ' s salary , and to the repairs of the chapel , so long as divine worship continues there to be celebrated .
The building of this chapel was attended with no common satisfaction to the harassed and persecuted Dissenters just emancipated from the fetters of the five-mile act , and that for the suppression of conventicles . Tradition can yet point out the place in a neighbouring wood , where on
days set apart , under the watch of centincls , and at night fall , when they were less likely to be observed , the proscribed ministers were met by their faithful adherents , when the pious service of prayer , praise and exhortation had no other walls to surround
it but the oaken thicket , and no other roof for its protection but the canopy of heaven . There was an additional satisfaction resulting from the completion of this structure , of which only its founders could be duly
sensible . The Rev . Samuel Angier , nephew and formerly assistant to the Rev . John Angier , of Denton , was now a resident in the township , on an estate yet known as " Angier ' s tenement / ' He lost no time in availing himself of the Toleration Act , to
license Iu 3 out-housing , and there he resumed his long-interrupted ministerial functions . The hay-loft was fitted up as a temporary gallery , and the family of the " Hall" were not ashamed there , surrounded by their tenantry , $$ attend upon his ministry . He was ^ e firs t pastor who dedicated this chapel to the worship of
God , al ? 4 cpntkitied to discharge the sacred duties of his profession for about six years , A register in his hand-writing is yet extant , containing not only memoranda interesting to the congregation , but notices of remarkable events connected with that
period , whether of local or national occurrence . An interleaved Bible purchased by him when a student at Chris || ipjmrch , Oxon , in 3 vols . 4 to . and ailM 1662 , is in the possession of the presypnt writer . It is scarcely necessary to remark , that it is
enriched by his notes and classical references in the course of frequent perusal down to the period of 169 7-It exhibits its first possessor as a pious and diligent peruser , a candid inquirer , and a learned and critical annotator of the Holy Scriptures . He was interred at the south end of
the chapel , and a Latin inscription , very beautifully engraved on his tombstone , designates with great propriety his character . A copy of this is to be found at the end of Calamy ' s Nonconformists' Memorial .
Mr . Angier ' s successor was the Rev , William Buckley . He happened to possess a patrimonial estate in the township , and when young , became enamoured of a daughter of the Baronet , whose demesne land lay
contiguous to his own . The parties were prevented ratifying that union so much coveted by both , and the lady died soon after ( in lovers' language ) of a broken heart . He afterwards married a half-sister of the
Baronet ' s , a daughter of Colonel Dukinfield in his old age , by a third wife , whose maiden name was Bottomley . The children of this marriage , six in number , are altogether omitted in the
pedigrees of the family , as they are detailed in the Baronetage of the kingdom . One of the children , a brother of Mrs . Buckley ' s , Joseph Dukinfield , was educated as a
Dissenting minister , but at the suggestion of : the then Archbishop of York , who promised to provide for him if he would conform , he was induced so to do , and became Rector of Felix Kirk , in the Archdeaconry of Cleveland , of which living the Archbishop
is the patron . Mr . Buckley was minister nearly forty years , and the subjoined docu-
682 History of the Presbyterian Chapel , Duhinfield , Cheshire .
Monthly Repository (1806-1838) and Unitarian Chronicle (1832-1833), Dec. 2, 1823, page 682, in the Nineteenth-Century Serials Edition (2008; 2018) ncse.ac.uk/periodicals/mruc/issues/vm2-ncseproduct1791/page/2/